Tuesday, November 4, 2008

BU Parties Like it's 2009

By Margaret DeJesus (MargaretDeJesus88@gmail.com)

On election night I had a paper to work on (Shocker, right?). I got sidetracked and typed some thoughts on the fly in my open WORD doc. Here are my procrastinating ramblings and videos from the night kept just as they were.

Tonight, November 4, 2008, is a historical night. America has begun to write a new chapter in its book of history. Outside my window in Boston, students are dancing and cheering in the streets as though the Red Sox just won a big game. Cars honk away, bells ring and music blasts in the dorm across the hall. Well, the idiots next door always crank up the volume on their speakers, but I’d like to think they’re celebrating too.

Tonight, the 44th president of the United States was elected. Chicago looks like a rock concert with thousands of fans clamoring in a park.

Tonight, an African American is the president elect. In a country where there was once slavery, segregation and Jim Crow; in a country where Emmett Till and Medger Evers were ruthlessly murdered; in a country where Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated; in a country where fire hoses were used to shoot water at students protesting discrimination at a lunch counter, an African American is now president.

Tonight, I put my politics aside and looked at the history I was witnessing.

Tonight, I can’t help but relish in this moment and I can’t really explain why. I’m not a Democrat and I’m not a Republican. I don’t know if raising taxes on small businesses is a good idea, and I’m not sure if Iraq was the way to go. I’m not sure if I’m totally for or against abortion and I’m not sure if the bailout was the right remedy for the ailing economy.

I’m sure that something changed tonight.
BOSTON-(Nov. 5,2008) Commonwealth Avenue looks like a Red Sox party for President-Elect Obama between 12-1:30 a.m. as about a hundred or so students celebrate his victory in the street.

No comments: